Monday, November 9, 2009

Grateful

Hi everyone.

I am so sorry that it has been a month and a half since my last post. Life has been incredibly busy with kids, everyone getting sick, and some personal things that happened to my parents last month. Seems like we have had no time to enjoy the things we love to. But some how over the last two weeks I managed to fit in 5 minutes here and there to get something finished.

So no more need to wait...

I made a fun interactive metal board to be put up for the Thanksgiving holiday. I wanted us to reflect on what we are Grateful for, my idea is to have the kids help fill it out the leaves and then at the end of the Thanksgiving season I can take the things they wrote and place them on a 12x12 page. Think it will be neat to see what changes over the years, right now I can just hear my little guy Kyle (2 years old) scream that he is grateful for "monster trucks!" I started out with a 6x12 piece of acrylic that I cut down to a 6x11 piece. Then using the We R Memory Keepers Corner Chomper on the 1/2" setting and cornered the edges. Then using a rubber stamp that I love and Olive Green Stazon Ink I stamped the acrylic and let dry.Using my Cricut and Sure-cuts-alot program I found two fonts that I liked and cut them out of yellow pattern paper and adhered it with Glossy accents to the acrylic. Using the Crop-a-dile I made holes it the 4 corners so that I could hang it and attach it to the bottome piece.



The lower piece is done by using an 11x 14 piece of metal that I pained lightly with an Aqua Paint Dabber and allowed to dry. Then next day I sprayed the metal with Glimmer mist in the Twilight color, make sure that you spary a light layer and allow to dry overnight and add more if you like later. The next few steps I used my Cricut, Graphically Speaking cartridge (Tree) and the the Plantin SchoolBook cartridge (leaves). The tree I made to the right size desired using my cricut design studio, it was cut as a 10" W x 12"H. The leaves I cut on 2 3/4" setting, using the roly poly function making sure to flip the image from time to time. Once they were all cut I did a little doodle on the edges of the leaves and the tree to add a little character. For the grass I took a piece of green pattern paper and tore it to make it look like hills. To darken the edges I used the Olive green stazon ink and a cotton ball to fade it onto the edges. Then where the tree is placed I cut a hole using the craft knife to feed the tree into to give a little illusion. Then I doodled arounf the base of the tree. I adhered it with my tape gun to the metal but I didn't do the hole tree because I wanted some of the branches to look like the were popping off the metal. So of the leaves are adhered to magnets, I use scotch tape to hold the paper on the tree and the magnets that way it can be scrapped later on a 12x12 page. The leaves that are in the grass I used pop dots so that they gave the illusion on being piles. To attach the twp piece together I justed used so ribbon I had in my stash but you could use a jump ring as well.


I hope that you guys had a wonderful October and that your November is starting out on a good note. Happy Scrapping. Thanks for dropping by!

Jenn

2 comments:

Regina said...

I do love this project! I hope youo and your family have a wonderful Christmas and a Happy New Year!

Laura - The Stampin' Soldier said...

I'll blog more if you blog more! :-)