Monday, June 1, 2009

Acrylic Wall Saying

Well unfortunately it is not Kits2Remember acrylic I did make a fun wall hanging for my little sister's soon to be Brianna. My sister Debbie is living in Hawaii with her Husband Sean and daughter Alexics and they are getting ready for the arrival of Brianna in September. Sean is in the Marine's and is currently servicing in Afghanistan some where. As he is there and Debbie and Lexi are stuck on an island, my mom, dad and I have been busy coming up with some really fun things to help decorate the baby's room. The only problem is that living in housing on the base and having white walls is a challege for us to come up with something that will pop off the walls. My mom and I found a DCWV Home vinyl wall saying a few months ago and have been trying to come up with an idea. The saying is white, so as you know white doesn't exactly show up on white to well! =) So my mom thought of putting it on a large piece of acrylic and some how decorating it to help the saying pop. Then my dad said that he could get a piece at Lowe's hardware store and cut it down on his saw at home. So here we are months later finally with the acrylic thinking now what... well all of a sudden it hit me like a ton of bricks, tint the acrylic. My only problem was trying to find Staz-on link at the local craft store since the LSS closed last month. Then we decided to paint in with the paint dabbers that we used on the name (look for May 30th post). Last night after the kids went to be I started by making a moon out of my leftover cricut vinyl using my Paper Dolls Dress Up cartridge. It was one of the accessories for the Frankinstein Bride. After doing that I painted in the moon with Lemonade colored acrylic paint and a paint brush. Once I had two coats and it was dry I used another paint brush and black acrylic paint to out line the moon (make sure that you paint it on the back side). Once that was dry I used the Aqua paint dabber I put three coats of paint making sure to change directions that I applied it. Once that was dry I turned it over and with my husband Bill's help I did the vinyl saying on the front side. We first lined it up and applied the saying to the acrylic, rubbed it with the tool and then lifted the transfer tape. Next I used the black paint again and painted the eyes on the front side of the acrylic. I did at this point try to use my big bite crop-a-dile to make the holes for hanging it BUT it did crack the acrlyic. SO I would not recommend going to the local hardware store and getting acrylic to make books, instead stick with the K2R products because they are designed for scarpping. Anyhow. I had to come up with an idea to hide the crack. So I took out my cricut and replaced the blade housing with the Deep Cut Blade housing and used K2R chipboard to make the stars in the corner. I used the George and basic shapes cartridge. After cutting the stars I used the paint dabbers and painted them. Once dry I added stickles to them in Cotton Candy and Lime Green. Now my dad is going to take over and use a drill to make the holes to prevent the cracking. Once that is finished its ready to hang on the wall and be taken down and moved anytime and anywhere. Here are the photos.

Happy scrapping everyone. Stay tunned for another out of the box idea using acrylic for a baby's room.

Jenn

No comments: