Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Teacher's Gift

Yep that's right.... teacher's gift! So its that time of year again when we honor all the hard work that our children's teachers have been doing. This year we got an amazing teacher and I wanted to do something to let her know just how wonderful we think she is. She really helped my daughter Madalyn fall in love with Science... which is great considering last year she didn't even want to have any part in it. She is a really smart cookie but for some reason that never sparked her interest. But this year after having Mrs. Beecham its a whole new story for her. So in order to honor her I wanted to make a fun little message / photo board with a poem that showed her just how special she is. To find the poem I looked up quotes and poems in my google search bar (I forgot to write down the address for that website). Then I used an 8x8 chipboard and covered it with Pitch Black Acrylic Paint Dabber and set it aside to dry. If you don't want to cover the whole piece with the black paint that is fine, I only did the the edges leaving a 4x4 square in the middle that wasn't painted. Once that was dry I attached a 6x6 chipboard that I covered with pattern paper that I had in my stash and also took the paint dabber to the edges. The white square that I wrote on was also from the patten paper that I just turned over, took the dabber to the edges and once dry added the poem. I used a BIC fine point permanent marker (color is Blues Skies Blue). On the out side edges I used Rebekka Erickson flower rub-ons in light blue and added Pewter liquid pearls to the center on the flowers and the dots on the side. For the metal panel I used an 8x8 panel and covered it in the Pitch Black Paint dapper, making use to do a thin coat, putting it aside to dry. Once that was dry I did a second coat... applying it in the opposite direction then the first coat making it have a crossed hatch apperance. The pictures don't just the texture any justice but I really like it. Then once that was dry I added some more rub-ons to the corners. Next I used Mod Podge in a matte finish to protect the paint and rub-ons from wear and tare. I but one the mod podge in to coats as well the same as I did for the paint changing direction once I it was dry and ready for a second coat. When the Mod Podge was dry I added the liquid pearls and a strip of the pattern paper, making sure to add the black paint to the edges for a nice uniform look. Then I used O- rings to connect them making the holes with a Crop-a-dile and then add the ribbon. The I maded two flower magnets just by layering the flowers, adding the brad that I had left over from a past kit. The flowers I had in my stash, I know that the two white ones were by Prima. Then I just added a magnet to the back of them. I would like to add a picture of the entire class and Mrs. Beecham that was taken by a friend of mine on her birthday. But it was a quick simple project that can be used over and over again.

1 comment:

Regina said...

I do love this..love the chalkboard look. I might have to lift this idea!