Tuesday, November 25, 2008

IT'S FINISHED!!!

I have been busy working on a Christmas gift for my In-Laws that live in GA. My husbands family decided that this year we would buy or make something for $20! When I heard that I thought what in the world am I going to do. They have two girls ages 6 and 3 and as anyone knows it is hard to buy anything these days that is $20 or something they don't have. So I put my creative mind to work and came up with a game board made out of metal. Do I have your interest? Okay so I took a panel of 12x12 Kits2remember.com metal (that was in my stash), ruby red cricut vinyl (that I had left over from a wall saying I did for my SIL), photos that I downloaded from their family blog, magnets (that I bought at Micheals, 50 for $6), red paint, pink paint, blue paint, green paint, yellow paint, stamps, mod podge and Ranger Glossy accents. So far I only spent six dollars. But if you were to buy the metal and magnets for would be at about $12. Anyway! I started by cutting the vinyl into 1.5" squares and putting them on the metal in a checkers board pattern. Once that was done I flipped over the metal and made a tic-tac-toe board and stamped around it to give it a little more interest. Once that was done I coated it with mod podge as directed, once one side was finished and completely dried I turned it over and did the other side. Then I painted the sides on the magnets, 12 in red, 12 in pink, 12 in green and 12 in blue. Then I took the leftover magnets and a few more (6 all together) from another pack and painted the sides yellow, that way you could use them for the crowned pieces by putting the colored one on top. Next I printed the photos onto normal computer paper as a wallet size in a fast draft print setting. I picked a picture of each member of the family and printed it 12 times and cut their faces out and taped them to the magnet, making sure that the picture was the same size as the magnet. One I adhered the photo I covered the photo with the Glossy Accents and let them dry. OH! Here is a tip... if you use wax paper and place all the pieces on it while drying from the paint and glossy accents you can then move them around with out them sticking to anything. Here are the photos that I cut down, the layout of the board and the game pieces. Thanks for stopping by! Jenn


2 comments:

Jessica Guthrie said...

Brilliant!! I love it!

Erin said...

What a great idea!!!
:o) Erin